Over the long weekend I purchased a Belpaire weathered C36 from the Austrains stand. Just got home to whack it on my layout to give it a run and no movement. Headlight works but not the slightest hint of movement.
Any hints to fix the problem?
Just reviving an old thread......Hi Roachie
I recently bought an Austrains 36 class; DCC ready. I briefly tested it on a short section (36") of DC track and it ran smoothly back and forth.
I then pulled the tender apart and removed the factory light board as well as the short "jumper" with the 8 pin socket because I was fitting a Tsunami 750 for D&RGW "K" class. This decoder had no plug, hence the removal of the adaptor. The 4 wires (2 for motor, 2 for pick-up.....I removed the wiring for the headlight; no desire for lights) from the decoder were attached (soldered) to the correct positions on the top side of the floor-mounted plug that the loco wiring loom plugs in to.
On the loco itself I removed the body shell and inserted a thin piece of plastic card between the metal chassis and the lower motor tab to ensure there was no possibility of the motor shorting out on the chassis.
I am in the process of adding wipers to the tender bogie wheels to increase the pick-up potential. Thanks to Linton for arranging to send me a piece of .4mm phosphor bronze wire so I can do this part of the job. I am hoping that the addition of these extra wipers will cure the strange problem I am experiencing with this model......
I have tried running the model around my largish (and dusty) layout. Even on the sections of track that I have scrupulously cleaned, the loco runs very smoothly one minute and then stops briefly, then flies off again. I should add that the decoder is mounted in the top of the tender, under the removable coal load....so I am able to monitor the decoder's red LED most of the time. On some of those occasions when the loco stops abruptly, the red LED is still glowing, so I figure that the decoder is still getting power. I did add the optional 220uF capacitor that was supplied with the decoder, so perhaps it is that which is keeping the red LED glowing whilst the loco is stopped for a second. Before I even get a chance to raise my hand to nudge the loco into life again, it will resume at previous set speed. There is definitely no binding of the mechanism....it runs as smoothly as any steam loco I've ever owned, built or worked on over the past 40 years.
I can set the loco on my wheel-cleaning gizmo (Trak-Rite by Woodlands Scenics mob) and once it starts running in that one position, it will continue on without any hiccups, so I know it's not the decoder over-heating etc. I keep coming back to the lack of pick-up wheels, so won't worry too much more until I have the extra wipers added.
If that fails to totally cure the woes, I might have to look into adding a TCS KA2 (keep alive), but not sure how that would be wired up; I'm guessing it would not be as easy as substituting the KA2 for the little 220uF I currently have....but I will keep my fingers crossed!!!
As for traction, I was reasonably happy with the locos performance on a moderate grade. I shortened the spring on the front bogie (it's a bloody long bugger!!!) by about 4mm, so it is just enough to prevent the very light bogie from derailing. I must say here that the loco tracks very well and negotiated my less-than-perfect turnouts and diamond crossings without any issues, other than the stuttering. I've also added a front Kadee, using a chopped one designed to slide into a Marklin housing. The mounting bracket section of this type of Kadee is very low, so I was able to mount it under the buffer beam without cutting any of the beam away.
Anyway, I shall report again with my findings once the tender has been doctored.