Getting the roof off was fine until I got to the left-hand side. Just didn't want to budge. Will post more as it goes on.
Thanks Roachie! Was actually pretty impressed with the level of detail inside.Looking good Ben,
Below is the progress I managed to get to today. Gave it a new roof - a Venetian blind that work was throwing out (win!) - to get a more accurate thickness. Need to add the grade control lever and uncoupling lever before adding a new brake wheel. May have broken one of them off in turning it over. I'm considering adding a little extra detail based on the photos in the AMRM and others I've found through Rob O'Regan's site.
Well, while things on the above project have been drying, I have been busy with something else:Nice work Al. Are there any problems gluing to the plastic the bogies are made from?
Oh dear! What have I done with the bogies on my N Car's?
Well, when I tried to replace the wheel sets with RP25:88 wheels set to EM (18.2mm) gauge I found that the wheels wouldn't turn as they were too tight in the bogie frames. So what to do?
Well with a set of calipers, Plastic Strip, Liquid glue, a Razor Saw, a Sharp Scalpel and a set of Alan Gibson 10.5mm wheels on 26mm axles (Auscision axles are 25mm) I set to work spacing out the bogie frames by approximately 1mm. I cut the end bolsters roughly in the center then cut either side of the bogie pivot so I could re-set it centrally, 2x21mm lengths of plastic strip and 2x8mm lengths of a slightly thinner strip of plastic and then started to re-build the bogies. I haven't yet decided if I'll re-join the end bolster with some more strip or just leave them open. Will see how they run when I get chance.
Modified bogie on the left, original Aucision bogie on the right:
Anyway, that's it for now (only another six carriages to do), might be an update on the diorama either tomorrow or early next week.
Nice work Al. Are there any problems gluing to the plastic the bogies are made from?Hi Mark,
It's a pit that they don't allow about 21.5mm between the sides so a more correct gauge gauge can be used with commonly available wheels. I suppose P87 wheels would fit but they are not easy to get, especially when we need spokes.
Hi all, I've been kitbashing a couple of castings from some old diecast trucks I had to create one of the SAR's Dodge MIC's.A Bachmann High Rail Pick up truck might be the answer for a mech for it. See this link for other possibilities as well.
So far so good with the basics taking shape. The biggest issue now is finding a suitable mech.
Hi all, progressing well with the MIC. Just got some paint on it so that I can see and fix the remaining defects in the body.