Well Nick Greiner was the Dr Beeching of NSW. Coalition record on railways is well documented.
If they did replace them I would prefer RailJets that are used by OBB and CD currently. Really nice trains although seating in second class would need to be improved!
And what would that be, or just a generalized statement with no facts.
But yes it was and I was a Gosford commuter through that period. Griener walked into a budget in tatters (books were not so open back then so govts could basically lie alot easier) and in 1986 dollars a $40B (I think) black hole with the SRA burning through $3m/day and
losing freight and pax numbers.
They ordered the EXPLR fleet to replace the aging loco hauled sets and reintroduced the Moree/Armidale service.
Numerous rural branch lines were closed, many of these carried little or no freight and despite the ALP taking govt about 8 years later when the infrastructure was still "recoverable" condition. Two lines were reopened but failed to remain viable. The Toronto line was closed, this surprised me at the time but its rarely be well defended that it should open in RP in the many years since and again ALP failed to reopen. Many lines were quoted as hauling more sleepers than freight. But yes often in large scale closures mistakes are made and the Dombarton line turned out it was better to have finished as no money was saved. Continued to keep open railway lines that carry little or no freight is a waste of taxpayers.
I used to go to Syd TAFE and walked along Sydney terminal 3 nights a week at different times in the lead up to the regional train cut backs, the axed train lengths were often minimal in length and by the terminus carried few to no passengers in some cases.
One rural service that I think was a mistake was the Coomera night train. I think this train had a future for the ski season only, but the argument is that its a long branch for an average of a few trains a week and I would do something different with the Dubbo/Broken Hill trains, but that is now, not then.
Now do we want to go through ALP's history
- Closed Mull'bah XPT
- Cut the Nth Tablelands back from Tenterfield. I can even remember the newspapers on that on. Barry stating he wasn't running a $10m train for an old lady.
- Repeated "gona's for the NW rail something and blew $400m in the process
- Got approved a line to E-P that was later determined to be questionable.
- Continued to run the Cityrail network into the ground such that they started to loose passengers enmass, later resolved with slowing the timetables, cuts in services and the untangling project
- Oversaw the continued cut in regional non bulk freight and loss of diesel traffic
- Maintained manual signally on the southern line rather than convert to CTC due to unions
- Failed to maintain the regional freight network in general and delayed the hand over of the interstate so to leach more money, they had to pay a fee to the feds to make up for lack of MTCE.
- Menangle Bridge and Wagga Wagga bridges, need we go further...
- Yes they did some good stuff.