Came across this - Published in February 2012 - The NSFC Scoping Phase Completion Report (PDF)https://www.containerterminalpolicyinnsw.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/NSFC-Scoping_Phase_Completion_Report-February-2012.pdf
Later in this document there's a number of interesting proposals that would allow for faster passenger trains such as a tunnel from Epping to Hawkesbury River for passenger trains with freight trains having more the free run of the top side line from Epping to Hawkesbury River.
Some of the "future" stages identified are those that have been discussed in this thread to allow full quad between Strathfield and Hornsby. (page 37 / 46 of the doc). Of Note.
2. Rhodes to West Ryde 3rd Track
- This will probably happen in conjunction with Rhodes to West Ryde 4th Track given the bridge works and track alignments required. Probably Stage 2
3. Thornleigh to Hornsby 3rd Track
- This seems to be confirmed as part of Stage 2. In conjunction with above point will give 2 full lines from Strathfield to almost Asquith.
4. Thornleigh to Hornsby 4th Track
- Probably a future Stage. Maybe Stage 3? Rhodes to West Ryde quad should happen before this one
5. Hornsby Bypass
- Will be interesting to see what they perhaps mean by that and how they handle the Hornsby issue to cater/work with 2 UP lines
6. Berowra to Hawkesbury River 3rd Track
- Probably far off, if it happens at all. No doubt it would be of huge benefit for freight climbing the steep gradients to Cowan and get them out of the way of passenger trains.
8. Duplication to Flemington Markets
- Interesting one. The 5th bi-direction track on the northern side near Loftus Cres was done in the mid 1990's I believe? Having this duplicated would open more chance for freight movements not to interfere with each other, also, passenger services to/from Central Coast/Newcastle and Olympic Park could use this (and I believe they do with the Nth Strathfield dive during Easter Show)
9. Strathfield Junction Passenger Underpass
- This is the one which you brought up Transtopic. This would be ideal so that passenger trains departing platform 3 and 6 could go onto the Northern Line without crossing conflicts. There is certainly space for a small dive/tunnel for trains intercity/regional trains departing Platform 3 and track to come along the other side of the fly over (where some goods/storage sidings are) and meet up with the down relief/3rd track, while suburbans departing Platform 6 use the Flyer Over and come onto the down main as they currently do. However, would this project really benefit freight services or more strictly passenger services only? So would this need to be perhaps funded by Sydney Trains?
10. Concord West to West Ryde 4th Track
- Probably Stage 2 project with the 3rd track and John Whitton bridge Works
11. Epping Turnback Modifications
- Interesting to see how this is handled
12. Epping to Pennant Hills 4th Track
- Probably a later Stage, perhaps in conjunction with No 4 "Thornleigh to Hornsby 4th Track"?
13. Hornsby to Berowra 3rd Track Bi-Directional
- I assume this would be a continuation of the down relief/3rd track which would be signaled for bi-directional use, similar to the situation around North Strathfield/Concord West prior to the dive being used.
14. Wyong Passing Loop
No mention of the re-reinstatement of the Up Relief/4th track at North Strathfield to the Junction, however, this would hopefully happen around the time of the West Ryde - Rhodes Quad as it would greatly benefit passenger trains heading to the city. As you said, this project only really benefits passenger trains and can't be justified as something for freight.