According to the timeline at VictorianRailways.net
, the Kilmany Park tramway opened in 1913 and, as mentioned above, connected at 118m 10ch, which puts the junction about 1m 15ch (2090 yards) west of Kilmany, near the Settlement Road level crossing (Shultz Lane East). The tramway length of 2m would take it to the banks of the La Trobe River. There’s a ubiquitous windbreak of pine trees that shows on Google Earth that could follow were the line would have been. The 1918 WTT on VictorianRailways.net
website lists the stations of Ingle (N C), at 1181
m and Kilmany Park (N C), at 1201
Ingle station is listed in the VR Annual FY Reports from 1915 to 1920 inclusive. VicSig’s history of Kilmany shows it becoming an Electric Staff station, with the sections Rosedale – Kilmany – Sale in 1913, ie about the time the tramway opened.
This is a rather superficial history but it seems part of the original Kilmany Park estate (8600 of 12000 acres) was sold off in 1911 and subdivided under the unsuccessful Closer Settlement Scheme. A condition of the sale was that sugar beet had to be grown to supply the government-owned mill at Maffra, which had just been taken out of mothballs. Pure speculation, however, the line might have been used to transport beet to Maffra, although if the junction faced Down trains, it would be a complicated trip via Sale (as it was then) and Stratford or a lengthy one via Traralgon.
From Victorian Places
From Maffra and District Historical Society
The Kilmany Park mansion, which appears to have been at the eastern end (east of Fulham and at the other end of Settlement Road) of the original estate, still exists, currently as a B & B, and has an interesting history, including as a church-run boy’s farm. The Duke of Cornwall and York (latterly King George V) visited in 1901, presumably after opening the first Federal Parliament at the Exhibition Buildings:https://www.kilmanypark.com/http://angustrumble.blogspot.com/2008/12/kilmany-park_24.html