Looks like you can go from Sydney to Paris before you can go to Perth. Or Brussels before you can go to Brisbane. Or Milan before you can go to Melbourne.
What a great C(o?)untry we live in.
Too bad The Dom isn't going to ban outright unvaccinated travellers. Let other states deal with them and the risk for a change!
NSW to scrap quarantine for international arrivals from November 1 in major policy shift
NSW will open its borders to fully vaccinated international travellers — who will no longer need to quarantine in hotels, or at home — from next month.
- Unvaccinated travellers will still have to enter hotel quarantine but there will only be around 200 spots per week
- NSW is the first state or territory to lift the requirement for quarantine
- People from Sydney will not be able to travel to regional NSW until November 1
In a major policy shift, Premier Dominic Perrottet announced people from his state would "be travelling to Bali before Broome" when the reforms come into effect on November 1.
People wanting to arrive in Sydney from overseas will need to show proof they've received a TGA-approved vaccine, and undertake a PCR test for COVID-19 before they board their flight. "We are opening Sydney and NSW to the world, and that date will come in on November 1. [We] will work closely with the Commonwealth to ensure protections are in place so we keep people safe [as we] rejoin the world," Mr Perrottet said.
Since March 2020 all states and territories have required all overseas passengers to quarantine in hotels, at their own expense, for 14 days. Last month, then-premier Gladys Berejiklian announced a trial of home quarantine for eligible international arrivals but her successor, Mr Perrottet, has now pressed fast-forward on this transition. NSW is the only state to announce quarantine-free international travel. All interstate borders to NSW remain closed.
"We can't live here in hermit kingdom. So many businesses [here] rely on tourism for business and trade," Mr Perrottet said. Anyone who is not fully vaccinated will still be required to enter hotel quarantine but there will only be 210 spots available per week. Tourism Minister Stuart Ayres said the November 1 date was chosen as it gave airlines two weeks to put on extra flights to NSW. The announcement comes as the state recorded 399 locally acquired COVID-19 cases and four deaths in the 24 hours to 8:00pm yesterday. Source