A few interesting comments and thanks for feedback Bevans.
- YM, I don't want to see the site handed over to big corp, you are perfectly correct.
- YM, yes agree on the personal attack BS. Too many resort to this and why I took 3mths off from the site to think about my involvement and focus on other things for a while. For now I'm avoiding the Lounge. This is where some good active moderators help keep things cool.
- Graham, I feel your pain and totally agree if it was easier to upload photos there would be more chatter on all things rail as you can see photos and video's frequently inspires convo.
- Yes I appreciate it that if the site is being funded privately to keep it running.
- Would I be prepared to donate, yes, do I, no (for now). Why because I don't see how it would improve as the site is struggling, then needs to be a plan. As most of us have commented, the site is in limbo and potentially dying.
Suggestions for discussion
- Moderators, @bevans
surely you and the few remaining active Mods acknowledge that the long list of non contributing Mods needs a purge and replacement with others who actually would better support the site and help control some of the BS faster. If a Mod cannot support the site for more than a 6mth, then ok thanks but lets move on and that position becomes vacant.
- Folders, surely there needs to be a restructure. Remove the rubbish folders that no one posts on. Maybe have like - NSW,
Regional, Commuter, Trams, infrastructure, Sightings, other NSW specific/General etc
Regional, Commuter, Trams, infrastructure, Sightings, other Vic specific/General etc
Regional, Commuter, Trams, infrastructure, Sightings, other Qld specific/General etc
- Add a folder for NZ.
- Photos, needing a Flicka account or other to upload, outdated, if nothing else this needs to be fixed.
- Android postings, prior to CV I used to travel internationally a few times a year and I seek out all things rail, but from my phone its so painful to make a post, I don't bother.
- Funding to improve, set up Gofundme or something similar to fix specific issues. i.e. "donate here to fix photos" for example. If insufficient funds are generated after say a year then either return or donate to a rail specific organization. If people see improvements actually happening they will be more interest to support the site. Right now, for me, not a chance, the site has advertising, where would my money go?