I'm doing some light research into the Culcairn to Corowa branch. Having visited nswrail.net I have some good info, which leads me to the following questions ...
The last train ran on the Corowa branch on 24/1/88. Does anyone have details of that movement ? A 'farewell' run perhaps ?
Stations along the line are listed as having been closed in May '75, therefore should I assume passenger services on this branch ceased in this year ?
1. The last train to operate into Corowa was a special XPT - "The Federation Flyer" on 24/01/1988. Corowa was where the founding fathers of Australian Federation first met.
2. Regular rail passenger services on the branch ceased on 10/02/1972.
3. The last regular goods train ran on 30/10/1984.
4. The line was placed out of use beyond Brocklesby (637.000km) on 01/02/1988.
5. A preservation group was set up, based at Corowa, but floundered when it could not negotiate operating rights over the line.