As awsgc suggested , the fate of the current BG line from Benalla to Oaklands is worthy of its own thread.
The options for servicing the existing grain facilities are varied , but not without considerable cost .
My local knowledge of the area is zero , thus I am seeking discussion on the subject.
I am told that the the line really only services silos within NSW and thus there would not be much incentive for the Vic. Govt. to use its own money to retain a rail connection.
This line has interested me due to the deep incursion of BG into NSW and the former break-of-gauge facilities at Oaklands.
Did NSW truncate its branch to Oaklands because Victoria were doing a better deal with grain haulage regarding distance and costs ?
As previously said , there are a few options that come to mind :
1. Containerised grain on a captive BG train and tranship at Benalla.
2. As above , but unload and re-load into SG hoppers.
3. Re-instate NSW SG to Oaklands and beyond ?
4. Tranship at Oaklands , from a BG captive train to SG trains.
5. Sadly , road haul to other silos with unaffected rail access.
6. Road/rail tractor vehicles and other solutions ?
Thank you for your ideas and comments.