I think I will use a momentary switch as well and will also look into putting a plug adaptor for a power supply in the end cap.
Did you have the brush on the end of one lead as well?
Mine is made using Poly pipe stem 55mm with matching caps. I inted making another one with a larger head for wider areas.
The mesh I used is from a downpipe that has stainless steel filter mesh in it, cut to size & epoxied into the cap cut out.
The kill switch is a pressure sensitive type in the closed end cap.
Wiring as follows using the Oatley power device.
Large white wire to mesh.
Red wire to the power pack plug, with black to one contact on the switch, & another black wire to the switch itself.
We used a white wire soldered to the black wire on the plug to go out of the tube & is around one metre in length with a one inch (25mm) flat head nail soldered to the wire.
The method I use for applying the static grass is to lay a coating of diluted PVA glue with Matte Medium included in it ( that helps eliminate any waxy look that some PVA glues have) I set the nail into the area that is wet for the earthing of it, or if doing small sections I wet another spot nearby with straight water & put the nail in there.
Whilst the usual method of putting the grass into the applicator is quite good, it tends to also stick to the mesh owing to the elecrical affect. Also the constant tapping of the applicator makes the arm & hand ache. (Yeah I know I am a sook, but I also believe in making things as easy as possible).
The method I now use for larger areas is to simply apply the glue/medium water mixture to the surface & then sprinkle the grass onto the the mix. I then run the applicator head slowly across the top of the grass about 25mm high, this lifts the grass in varying degrees from pure vertical & aspects of laying down. I then reverse the movement & continue until I get my desired effect.
What also happened is that some of the grass will take up on the mesh from areas that are too dry, & the glue not takeing the fibres. I find this better as I know what parts to redo, & it means that you do not have as much loose & therefore potentially floating fibres on the layout.
If you want mixed heights, start with the shortest fibre & then increase in sizes with each pass that you want to achieve with higher grasses..
I use Parfix PVA from Bunnings, 5 litres at less than the price of Selleys, its thicker glue & can be thinned more, its also made by Selleys & no worse quality but I think its better.
There is a group of paint places called Paint Wholesalers of Australia, they sell a product that is the same thing as Matte Medium call Perma Plastic, its not cheap but a lot cheaper than what you get at Art shops, also it is great for using as a clear glue for trees.
I use a mix of 3-2- 5 of glue, medium -water.