Don't be silly; we've discussed this. There's room to run around 60 wagons at Ararat if you're feeling brave/amphibious enough.
9702 down to 20 wagons todayDoes that mean that one can run around 20 wagons at Ararat rather than have to venture out to Pyrenees?
Of course, but I don't understand the need to be amphib
Its all rather simple - PROVIDED that ARTC are happy to have the section from Maroona to Pyrenees occupied for a few hours, and PROVIDED that it's OK to propel for a bit on either line, and PROVIDED that a willing crew are shanghaied into the job, along with lots of other provisos, none of course which would ever gain approval.....but anyway.....
Assuming that the existing Platform Road / Maryborough Line loop at Ararat can handle 30 grain hoppers (repeat a few steps if only 20 can fit) and a train of 60 arrives from Maroona that is headed towards Maryborough, you would...
1. Pass through on the Mainline until the tail of the train clears the Maroona end points;
2. Divide train so that the platform road is fully occupied and pull front half clear of the Pyrenees end points;
3. Propel the front portion around the tail and back out towards Maroona;
4. Draw forward again so the Locos are now in the middle, then push the first 30 clear of the Pyrenees end points after leaving the other 30 in the Platform road;
5. Run Locos around again and attach to the Maroona end;
6. Push back towards Pyrenees until the whole train is coupled again and keep pushing until the entire train is now clear of the Pyrenees end;
7. Sit there for a while waiting for the air pressure to be regained and tested etc;
8. Change crews (they will have run out of hours by now, and need to sign autographs and pose for photos for the assembled Gunzels who have been recording all the silliness);
9. Get Train Order and depart for Maryborough - ARTC then get their line back and Interstate Trains can move again.
Then do it all over again when the loaded train returns.
As PIMM says, it can be done (and he may have another resolution). But somehow I think that going out the few km to Pyrenees Loop would be just a little easier.