Showing photos tagged with g8b
Opened in 1964 by the Victorian Railways, as a replacement for North Melbourne loco depot. South Dynon loco depot is the servicing, maintenance and operations point for the majority of broad and standard gauge diesel locomotives in use in Victoria. EMD powered locomotives are the workshop's core business for maintenance, although ALCo products are occasionally maintained in the site's facilities. Due to privatisation of the rail freight and passenger services in the late 1990's, the site passed into the control of private rail operators and/or maintenance companies. Currently, the main shed at Dynon is occupied by EDi on the southern side, and Bombardier on the northern side. The former Dynon Car Shed is now occupied by Gemco (formerly Rail Technical Support, or RTS), who also perform diesel maintenance for varying customers. Note: New generation United Group built locomotives (NR's, 93's etc.) are serviced at a motive power provisioning facilty near Dock Link Road, and maintained at a specially-built facility in Spotswood, Victoria.
Road overbridge gives good views of trains marshalling in the Appleton Dock siding
Preparation point for all PN standard gauge locos
Good views of trains assembling in the QRN yard at North Dynon
Kensington station opened on 1 November 1860 as part of the private Melbourne and Essendon Railway Company line to Essendon. The station closed with the line in 1864, but was reopened in 1871 under government ownership. The Melbourne-bound station building was constructed in 1886, as was the signal box beside the Kensington Road level crossing. The gates at the crossing were replaced by boom barriers in 1966.
Located at the end of Victoria Street in Seymour.
Good views from the platform and the footbridge of trains in both directions.
Former WCR depot, now a servicing point for V/Line. Good views of trains in both directions from the footbridge at the Melbourne end of the complex.
Footbridge over the railway line at Ballarat East. Good views of up and down trains at all times of day, with interesting views of the Ballarat East railway depot.
The station is located on the Ballarat line and serves both freight and passenger functions. Passenger services originating and terminating at Wendouree, Ararat and Maryborough also pass through the station on the journey to or from Melbourne. The extensive building complex is of major architectural and historical significance to Ballarat and Victoria with most of its original 19th century features intact. Preserved historic features include the largest surviving interlocking mechanical swing gates in Victoria at Lydiard Street, signal boxes and goods sheds and it is one of only three stations in Victoria to have had a 19th-century train shed (along with Geelong and St Kilda)
Good views of trains departing west from Ballarat Station
Wallan Distant Signal, good shot of trains in both directions with the sun usually favouring trains heading to Melbourne in the afternoon.
Maintenance and storage facility, site of the former SAR/AN workshops.
Don't forget to LIKE us on Facebook at: Railpage Facebook Feed