Showing photos tagged with nescio
Views from the platform of both directions
Opened in 1924, at its busiest Broadmeadow depot featured two roundhouses with No. 2 turntable having 42 radial roads. It was the last stronghold of mainline steam in New South Wales, having the dubious honour of preparing the motive power for the last mainline NSWGR steam train in 1973. Due to a changing railway landscape the depot was closed on 24 December 1994. The closure is attributed to the increased through-running of locomotives (National Rail), and new motive power being serviced elsewhere (82 and 90 class locomotives, maintained at Kooragang Island). The remaining roundhouse structure around No. 2 turntable now houses several NSWRTM and RailCorp Heritage owned assets, including 4102.
On 30 May 1915 Lavender Bay railway station was opened to take the place of Milsons Point railway station. This only lasted for seven weeks, as passengers refused to alight here and demanded that trains stop at Milsons Point. During the harbour bridge construction, Lavender Bay Station was the terminus for the North Shore Line. The area is now railway storage sidings.
Don't forget to LIKE us on Facebook at: Railpage Facebook Feed