Data contributed by
Export to Excel 830 Class photo map
With the ability to operate on any of South Australia's three major track gauges, the 830 Class were unequivocally the most versatile locomotives operated by the South Australian Railways. They were used on virtually every type of train service throughout the state, and the majority of the class remain in operation today.
A total of forty four 830 Class were built by A. E. Goodwin for the South Australian Railways between 1959 and 1966. Based on the successful DL531 model built for the NSWGR as the 48 Class, the 830 Class were saw use on the narrow, standard and broad gauge traffic in South Australia. As well as South Australia, a number of members of the class were relocated to Tasmania under the direction of Australian National, although this did not prove to be a successful move, with most of the class returned to SA or scrapped in Tasmania. AN also modified a number of the class to be suitable for Driver Only Operation (DOO) to improve the efficiency of shunting and trip train working (with the modified units being called the "DA Class"). Two of the class were sold to Silverton to compliment their existing fleet of similar DL531 units (see below), while the remainder of the class were sold to Australian Southern Railroad (now Genesee & Wyoming Australia) in the late 1990's.
Today, the surviving members of the class are split between G&WA and Engenco, while three former ATN Access units are owned by Pacific National, while 852 (formerly owned by QRNational/ARG) is now in the care of Junee Railway Workshops for eventual lease service.
Tag your 830 Class photos using the Flickr tag loco
bookmarklet and they'll appear in the 830 Class photo gallery.