Data contributed by
Export to Excel Y class (WA, Diesel) photo map
The WAGR Y class diesel electric locomotives were introduced in 1953, and were operated by Western Australian Government Railways on their 3'6" 1067mm gauge network.
Eighteen locomotives were built by the British Thomson-Houston company, with the Clayton Equipment Company acting as sub contractor, and diesel engines supplied by Paxman. They were of the hood type, with a high short hood. They were fitted with driving controls for both directions.
Their Paxman 12RPHL diesel delivered 410 hp for traction into the BTH RTB8844 main generator supplying four BTH 124PV traction motors.
They were trialled on the Perth suburban network passenger services, but found to lack sufficient hauling capability (continuous tractive effort - only 40kN @ 19km/h) to maintain the timetable. They have been assigned to shunting, transfer and branch line work through their operational lives.
Like a lot of the Modernisation Era locomotive types in Britain, this was a design that was not perpetuated. Seven Y class locos have been preserved.
Sources include: Wikipedia, Locopage database, WAGR leaflet, Modern Railways, newsgroups and forums.
Tag your Y class (WA, Diesel) photos using the Flickr tag loco
bookmarklet and they'll appear in the Y class (WA, Diesel) photo gallery.