Chatswood to Epping... evicting us.

pjcalder Locomotive Driver

Just thought I'd let you all know...

The new tunnel going from Chatswood to Epping underground is going under my house!!! The company constructing the tunnel is Thiess, and they have come to our house to have a look at it, take photos of all the cracks in the wall so we can't ask for compensation falsely.

The last reason they've come is to tell us that we have to move out for the 2 days it will take for them to pass under our house. The noise will be too loud! They're evicting us!

This is great! Of course, they are sending us off to a self-contained 2 bedroom 4 and a half star hotel named "The Sebel" in Chatswood, breakfast included. They are paying all expenses!!!

You can check where the TBM's (Tunnel Boreing Machines) are by visiting http://www.raillink.nsw.gov.au/ArticlePage.aspx?PageID=57. This is the Rail Link website...

Philip

Sponsored advertisement

Tsubame800 Chief Commissioner

Hmm. I guess that means that I should quickly buy the house next door.......

The Sebel is deffinately a great place to be put up. look out though make sure you lock up completly as you never know what could happen.

Whaddaya mean...?
  Tsubame800 Chief Commissioner

Well I have had a friend who was near the cross city tunnel and he was asked to leave his property along with the rest of the building they came back and all of the photo's and also some vases were smashed due to some vibrations.

But I don't know if it would happen to you.
  chowboy Junior Train Controller

The last reason they've come is to tell us that we have to move out for the 2 days it will take for them to pass under our house. The noise will be too loud! They're evicting us!
"pjcalder"

The second TBM is currently in Lindfield, and is some distance away from the first machine. If that's the case, does that mean you'll have to move out twice - the first when TBM1 passes through and the second for when TBM2 has its turn about a month or so later?
  TheLoadedDog The Ghost of George Stephenson

What if you refuse to leave?
  Ron_D Chief Commissioner

Shocked Lindfield??

I thought the line was turning off at Chatswood, so I can't see how TBM2 is at Lindfield.

Shocked Lindfield??

I thought the line was turning off at Chatswood, so I can't see how TBM2 is at Lindfield.
"Ron_D"

originally the line didn't have to go up towards Lindfield, but when the protesting residents managed to get the original Lane Cove surface crossing replaced with an underground crossing, they also caused several other things:
1. the scrapping of UTS Kuring-gai station
2. the lengthening of the route so that after the Lane Cove River crossing it must hook up towards Lindfield to accomodate for the rising grade
3. an increase in tunnelling costs for the longer tunnel

you can see the route map on the Epping-Chatswood rail link website if you need more convincing that the route does in fact go through Lindfield and Roseville Wink

currently the locations of the TBMs are:
TBM 1 is underneath Bancroft Avenue, Roseville.
TBM 2 is underneath Strickland Avenue, Lindfield.
  nosecone Chief Commissioner

Is Thiess providing security for your house? ...... now that the world knows that numerous houses in Strickland and Bancroft Avenues are likely to be devoid of their residents.

"pjcalder"

The second TBM is currently in Lindfield, and is some distance away from the first machine. If that's the case, does that mean you'll have to move out twice - the first when TBM1 passes through and the second for when TBM2 has its turn about a month or so later?
"chowboy"

Yes that's correct. The second one is about 4 weeks after the first one.
  awsgc24 Minister for Railways

originally the line didn't have to go up towards Lindfield, but when the protesting residents managed to get the original Lane Cove surface crossing replaced with an underground crossing, they also caused several other things:
1. the scrapping of UTS Kuring-gai station
2. the lengthening of the route so that after the Lane Cove River crossing it must hook up towards Lindfield to accomodate for the rising grade
3. an increase in tunnelling costs for the longer tunnel

"chowboy"

The local member of Parliament, then Kerry Chickarovski, want a tunnel under the Lane Cove River "at all costs", and that is what she got.
  nosecone Chief Commissioner

The local member of Parliament, then Kerry Chickarovski, want a tunnel under the Lane Cove River "at all costs", and that is what she got.
"awsgc24"

Yes, she certainly did get it: the river tunnel.  She also copped it in the head but only after she wreaked havoc.  It also cost us another station that would have been a reprieve for UTS Kuring-gai campus and moved more cars off the road.  Just think too, of all the extra energy we'll consume hauling trains up the unnecessarily steeper gradients for the next 100 years. Chikarovski went on to later fame by dating some thug who carries a pistol and has served time for firearm offences.
  TheLoadedDog The Ghost of George Stephenson

Shocked Lindfield??

"Ron_D"

They forgot to take a left turn at Albuquerque.

(Hey, somebody had to say it. Don't blame me if youse blokes are slow. Very Happy  )
  Sonofagunzel Chief Commissioner

Does the "P" in PRL stand for Pizmo?

They seem to be building a lift shaft and platform at Chatswood north-east of the current station. Is this the temporary island platform that will be used when the current station will be demolished, or is this actually one of the new island platforms for the new transport interchange?

If it is a temporary platform, isn't it a bit strange to be building it all the way where it is? That would mean the rail lines will have to be realigned quite a bit in order for trains to stop.
  mad_dog Locomotive Fireman

Yes, you are correct in that the new platform that is being built to the east on the down side of the current platform is a temporary platform that will be used whilst they build the new station. I believe that they will move the tracks over to where the temporary platform is, sometime in July. I suppose they want to get the running lines right out of the way where they'll be building the new platforms.

Sponsored advertisement

Subscribers: awsgc24, Brianr, nosecone, pjcalder, Ron_D

Display from:   

Quick Reply

We've disabled Quick Reply for this thread as it was last updated more than six months ago.