Proposed Premium Stations

John of Melbourne The Ghost of George Stephenson

Has East Richmond always operated this way?
"deblaz"

Yes, I think so, ever since the infrastructure has been the way it is.  One exception might be the bit about down Glen Waverley-line trains in the morning peak using the BT.  That would have been brought about by two factors:
1. The installation of the crossover between Burnley platform 3 and the down Glen Waverley line.  That is probably the most recent alteration in the Burnley/East Richmond area, apart from the construction of the Burnley Stabling Sidings. (Although that of course is an infrastructure change.)
2. The removal of the Jolimont yards, and the relocation of stabling from there to sidings further out on the system.  This resulted in extra counter-peak trips, thereby increasing the requirement to run two down trains parallel in the morning peak.  (And that is another infrastructure change, albeit one remote from the area we are discussing.)

Sponsored advertisement

d1-3508 Chief Commissioner

Location: Malvern Depot or out somewhere on the M>tram network
Ideally... most, if not, all stations should be staffed.

However if only some stations should be... then there are several stations on that list which are too quiet...

Alamein definately should not be Premium... neither should Heyington, Hartwell, East Camberwell, Hawksburn, South Kensington, Williamstown Beach... they are the definate no-nos on that list.

Malvern, Glenhuntly, Noble Park, Watergardens, and Jolimont are definate yes. Others maybe.
"Nexas"

What Are your reasons for Hawksburn, Williamstown Beach, East Camberwell And Heyington Not Being Premium Nexas???

My Reasons:
Willamstown Beach: It's Right Outside A Hospital & A Primary School, Is That Enough Reasons?
East Camberwell, Hawksburn & Heyington: Schools Near By Each, Retirement home @ East Camberwell & Toorak Rd @ The Other Two.
  Somebody in the WWW Banned

Willamstown Beach: It's Right Outside A Hospital & A Primary School, Is That Enough Reasons?
"d1-3508"

Hospital: Still not a good enough reason to be premium.
Primary School: How many primary school children will come home/to school on the train? Not many. Most parents wouldn't even let their kids travel on the train on their own.

East Camberwell, Hawksburn & Heyington: Schools Near By Each, Retirement home @ East Camberwell & Toorak Rd @ The Other Two.

Just because a station has a school nextdoor, it doesn't mean it needs to be manned all day. East Camberwell doesn't really seem that busy to me, and it would probably require the building on the island platform to be replaced with a larger structure to make it premium.
  Nexas The Ghost of George Stephenson

The hospital next to Williamstown Beach station is a small hospital, and most people would either arrive by Car or Ambulance. Perhaps when Ambulances start running on rails, this station can recieve an upgrade.

Disregarding the occasional school students, East Camberwell is possibly one of the quietest on the network, there is no way in hell this station will ever need to become premium.

Hawksburn is quiet, and there is nothing of intrest around it. Trust me, I live there.

Heyington is the same deal as East Camberwell. Only gets used by students in a couple of trains before and after school. Outside those times it's dead quiet. Heyington needs to become wheelchair accessable before it gets premium status!

Primary school students don't travel to school by train... well, most don't. This is definately not a reason to give a station premium status.

Many High School students travel by train, but the times when stations are busy are usually restricted to around 7.30-8.30am and 3-4pm, before and after school respectively. This does not justify around the clock staffing. Stations that are busy just because of students (like Heyington, Kooyonh, East Camberwell, Strathmore... etc...) do not need premium status, they need part time station hosts at the most.

And then of course, there are Universities, where classes ran at various different times, and students are no longer living at home, and must rely on public transport. It is the universities that generate public transport demand, not the High or Primary schools.

You seem to be missing the point. Premium Stations are selected because they are busy around the clock, not just when the school bell rings. Premium Stations are not selected by community places such as schools and hospitals, or anything else, and are not selected because they are junction stations or at the end of the line, like some people think they should be. Take Surrey Hills for instance, a very busy station, recently upgraded to premium status, yet the only "attraction" it has is a small suburban shopping strip, which many stations have near them. But... Surrey Hills is genuinely busy, so this is just one example of a station with no "attractions" yet it is premium.

Heyington needs to become wheelchair accessable before it gets premium status!
"Nexas"

I thought that since General Motors closed (which wasn't accessible without illegally climbing onto the tracks and jumping up onto the platform) all station were wheelchair accessible? (Well, that's what Metlink told me!)

From the entrance of Heyington Station, you cannot access either platform 1 or 2 in a wheelchair. Platform 1 requires you to go down stairs, and platform 2 requires you go cross a footbridge with stairs on the other side.

You could argue that platform 2 is wheelchair accessable, but would require a journey of over 1km, and then through the grounds of St Kevins college to get to that one platform, from where you can only head outbound anyway. It would be much quicker to wheel yourself the whole way to Kooyong!
  Suburban_Soldier Chief Commissioner

good point. why heyington isn't wheelchair accessible is beyond me. its practically enough a school station though and i doubt many of the well to do who live up on the hill would ever use public transport.
  Flagstaff Red Afro

Heyington is close to Burnley, either Heyington or Burney should become premium.
  Flagstaff Red Afro

I'd suggest Burnley because it is easily accessible, also serves the Ringwood and Alamien lines and is near shops.

Both Heyington and Burnley are very quiet stations compared to the rest of the network. There is no need that either of them become Premium.

I'd rather see Kooyong get the status then those two. At least staff at Kooyong could then assist with the blind people who frequent the station.

though the logical idea would be to make all stations premium it would be unethical because of the cost involved. so i reckon at least every second to third station should be premium depending on patronage, attractions etc. with the host stations i think the offices and ticket booths should be reopened with the metcard machines sometimes blocking the way moved to the side. why you may ask well i think people buying tickets would rather buy them from real people than machines. also you've got the elderly to consider

Does anyone know when most of Melbourne's stations were destaffed (I know it was the '90s, but exactly when)?

pretty much when metcard came into full operation. i think it was late 96', early 97'

Metcard came into full operation in 1998, however Melbourne's railway stations were de-staffed considerably earlier than that.

Smaller station were de-staffed quite early, such as Ripponlea, with signs posted up saying for people to get a ticket from a newsagent.

It would be a few more years until some larger stations were de-staffed, and even busier ones kept as Premium. This would have been around 96?
  Ben-P19 Chief Commissioner

A few stations retained staffing for the AM peak only prior to the introduction of Metcard. After Metcard only a handfull retained the part time status. Now with the introduction of host stations, the remaining AM peak only stations retain the booking office staff with the addition of only one station host (compared to the normal number of 2 hosts).

Sponsored advertisement

Display from:   

Quick Reply

We've disabled Quick Reply for this thread as it was last updated more than six months ago.