It's Official MSTS2 Cancelled

You must be logged in to reply

Search thread   Image gallery
1 of 3 2 3 »
gallop3 Deputy Commissioner

The news we were all expecting to hear has been released in the us yesterday.

MSTS2 has been officially cancelled.

Well it's official folks. I've just had confirmation from Microsoft (via their Press Agency) that Train Sim 2 has been cancelled - here is an abstract of the actual statement:

As you know, every business segment within Microsoft is responsible for continually evaluating its strategy and investments in all areas of the business to achieve operational efficiencies. At Microsoft Game Studios (MGS), we must continually evaluate our portfolio strategy and investments to ensure we are achieving our most important objectives of creating successful, platform driving titles for Windows gamers. In addition, Microsoft Games Studio must streamline game development operations to be more efficient and critically examine all projects in development to position the business for long-term success and profitability.

Microsoft Game Studios has cancelled the Windows-based game "Train Simulator 2.0." The decision to cancel "Train Simulator 2.0" was made some time ago and was based on a long, hard and difficult look at our business objectives and product offerings. We remain focused on the simulations category with successful, platform-driving franchises such as "Microsoft Flight Simulator."

Let's hope that their business objectives change focus over the next couple of years.

Definitely worth a protest email to the marketing department of Microsoft Game Studios.

Well it looks like we will just have to keep on improving MSTS1 to the next level as we keep on finding new tricks to make the realism factor

as high as possible.

Cheers

K160 Minister for Railways

So, now that it's cancelled, MS should offer the "improvements" to exsisting owners of MSTS. The working turntable would be a start  Very Happy

GNR10 Chief Commissioner

Some things that could improve it-

Radio chatter.

MOVING people on platforms and in marshalling yards.

Longer routes to simulate long hauls.

less complicated route editor.

Full driver's shifts or split shifts(for those who are into that).

Changing locomotives or driver ends after a run.

Full length passenger runs rather thann just a section.

Broken stock as a result of collisions or derailments.

More realistic loco physics.

driver's views rather than set views (ability to walk around the locomotive/cab).

Signal malfunctions.

Locomotive malfunctions.

falling trees.

Animals "talk" when you hit them.

Screams when your train is going too fast.

Improved passenger train simulation such as violent ppl ,waiting for ambulance/police to arrive.

Fire.

Alive "real" worlds.

Different accent for radio talk.

More realistic train sounds.

Ability to exit the train and walk around

More accurate timing between stations and NOt down the exact second.

And plenty more!

That would be the dayCRMPS

They still haven't officially fixed the node problem.

It took the modellers themselves to nut these problems out.

Personally i think they will wait at least a couple of years to see what the msts community comes up with,then copy these ideas into a new sim.

Exactly the same thing happened with flight sim in it's infacy.

And to some other guy, most of your wants can be done in msts1 anyway.

It has been the individual modellers who have put all the hard yards  in ,

not Microsoft, who didn't even code the sim in the first place.

Cheers

GNR10 Chief Commissioner

Some things that could improve it-

Radio chatter.

MOVING people on platforms and in marshalling yards.

Longer routes to simulate long hauls.

less complicated route editor.

Full driver's shifts or split shifts(for those who are into that).

Changing locomotives or driver ends after a run.

Full length passenger runs rather thann just a section.

Broken stock as a result of collisions or derailments.

More realistic loco physics.

driver's views rather than set views (ability to walk around the locomotive/cab).

Signal malfunctions.

Locomotive malfunctions.

falling trees.

Animals react when you hit them.

Screams when your train is going too fast.

Improved passenger train simulation such as violent ppl ,waiting for ambulance/police to arrive.

Fire.

Alive "real" worlds.

Different accent for radio talk.

More realistic train sounds.

Ability to exit the train and walk around

More accurate timing between stations and NOt down the exact second.

and more...

Tecoa Train Controller

Well it's a happy day for Auran's Trainz simulator, this well increase there sales. Very Happy

Auran Very HappyCool

Microsoft  ConfusedShockedTwisted Evil

Need I say more.

Tecoa.

Especially when it has been reduced to $10us over in let's let the rest of the world subsidise us land (us) .

TheLoadedDog Minister for Railways

Y' know my weird wish for MSTS?

Automatic DRIVER for steam.  Having to do EVERYTHING single handedly to operate a large steam locomotive is not only a complicated pain in the smeg, but it's also not realistic. Some days I'd just like to fire the thing.

c503 Junior Train Controller

Auran TRS2004 is very good and well worth the money

nazarail Chief Commissioner

Auran TRS2004 is very good and well worth the money

- c503

second that! im saveing for new video card so i play it to the max!

auran all the way baby!

smalfalfa Station Master

So Trainz is that much better?

nazarail Chief Commissioner

So Trainz is that much better?

- smalfalfa

very! much better in some ways!

route building is like washing you hands (very very easy!) trainz 2004 you can unload and load your trains in the game! i saw a bloke load up his whole coal train! in train sim you have to exit and reenter to do that!

Vulcan Foundry Assistant Commissioner

Geezz...How much more life can we get out of the current game engine at the moment. The current content available is fantastic and does not need to be replaced. All we really need is a new game engine that will work with all our current content that is around.

The real problem I can see here is that if the only viable alternative is to go to TRAINZ, what is going to happen to all the unreal content that is created with TSM available for MSTS at the moment ? Its not a real problem for conversion for me, but we would need some ethical way of converting .DST files into .3DS files for many. This can actually be done at the moment in a roundabout way via means of a decompiler by loading a converted shape file back into GMAX and then converting into TRAINZ format. Although this can be done, the ethics of doing it are questionable.

jm1941 Chief Commissioner

As you know, every business segment within Microsoft is responsible for continually evaluating its strategy and investments in all areas of the business to achieve operational efficiencies. At Microsoft Game Studios (MGS), we must continually evaluate our portfolio strategy and investments to ensure we are achieving our most important objectives of creating successful, platform driving titles for Windows gamers. In addition, Microsoft Games Studio must streamline game development operations to be more efficient and critically examine all projects in development to position the business for long-term success and profitability.

Microsoft Game Studios has cancelled the Windows-based game "Train Simulator 2.0." The decision to cancel "Train Simulator 2.0" was made some time ago and was based on a long, hard and difficult look at our business objectives and product offerings. We remain focused on the simulations category with successful, platform-driving franchises such as "Microsoft Flight Simulator."

- A user

Typical of M$, all that stupid gobbly gosh just to say Laughing we gave up because it was toooo hard for our programmers.  Oh well, it took a train to beat the buggers.

Anyway what a bummer!..... but what does one expect from Micro$oft.

Perhaps now they should allow access to the MSTS source code so the REAL honest dedicated programmers out here in the real world, and are not still living in Disneyland, can improve TS (note I dropped off the M$) far better than Micro$oft's could ever do with its bulky programming anyway.

Trouble is they get their rip-off cash far far too easy, no real competitors.

Annoyed sure I am, anything the little fellow enjoys is always stomped on and to think I used every version of FlightSim up to latest version. Anyway now I'm glad I took Flight Sim off when TS come along.

Oh well what we have now will have a far more important meaning to us all. Next time I run TS it will have a new meaning as TS is really the end users Simulator now. NO more input from M$. Kuju did the very basics (only because of skinflint M$) and the rest was done by the end users dedicated free combined effort as a real team working together for no profit for the overall good of TS.

Perhaps we drop M$ off and change the sim name to:- DUTS (Dedicated Users Train Simulator) for it has nothing to do with (do I have to say the name) Mad  M$  Laughing

Yes I suppose M$ will lay low for 2 or 3 years and then pounce on it after all the dedicated work and say they did it. Good job we will all know different.

Ah now that feels better. Wink

Regards,

dthead - Administrator Site Admin

Great !

Microsoft basically sayin we don't like trains - and so will not redo the sim because it is too hard....

Some thinking:

* Auran should go & buy  MSTS. - M$ would then rear up wouldn't they, after all if a competitor wanted theior product then maybe....

* Auran releases massive conversion tools to convert MSTS route etc to TRAINZ......

* Nothing happens, and MSTS just continues as it has been - by the enthusists...

Oh well !!

Regards,

David Head

michaelgreenhill - Administrator That's Numberwang!

*sighs*

Trainz was designed as a MODEL RAILWAY simulator. Auran have simply modified Trainz as it's evolved to make it more like MSTS - ie a real railway simulator. However, it's still nothing compared to MSTS. The physics are something shocking, it's soft rendered which makes it look 'toy like', however, it does have its up sides - the ability to render far more polygons then MSTS, for instance.

For all of you who think MS ditched MSTS because it's too hard - why don't you put your money where your mouth is and try coding it yourself! MSTS don't have unlimited resources, plus they probably had to relocate all their code hacks from MSTS onto Longhorn and the WinXP SP2.

MS won't release the source code for MSTS2, because that's basically 100% against company policy. It's highly doubtfull that they'll release the source code for MSTS1 either, for the same reason - even though it is far outdated.

Personally, I'm looking foward to Trainz Railway Simulator, because this will be far superior to anything else. Roll on commercial Trainz!

The only trouble is that trainz has the physics of a fisher price thomas the tank engine.

It is a game not a simulator.

cheers

SAR T186 Chief Commissioner

Looks like Trainz wins in the end

Looks like Trainz wins in the end

- SAR T186

As others have said Trainz is very limp in realistic performance and has no where near the variety or numbers of rolling stock in comparision available for use with MSTS. Particularly on the Australian scene.

spottyrahr Chief Commissioner

last time i checked, you can change the physics of the trains. And they are bringing out new packs etc to try and make it realistic, they obviously dont have the same access to information about trains that MS had.

Tecoa Train Controller

Microsoft's days are number, a lot of people I talk to don't like Microsoft they only create problem software. Twisted Evil

The people at Auran well continue to develop Trainz to the max, and the train sim world is growing by the minute. Laughing

MSTS is very interesting and will be around for a long time and it's only a matter of time and developers like Mapleleaf and Team-ALCO will be creating 3D models for Trainz. Laughing

Tecoa.

Microsoft's days are number, a lot of people I talk to don't like Microsoft they only create problem software. Twisted Evil

The people at Auran well continue to develop Trainz to the max, and the train sim world is growing by the minute. Laughing

MSTS is very interesting and will be around for a long time and it's only a matter of time and developers like Mapleleaf and Team-ALCO will be creating 3D models for Trainz. Laughing

Tecoa.

- Tecoa

From what I read on the TRAINZ forums, we're looking at around a two year wait before they create a product anywhere near what we want for a realistic prototypical performance in a Train Sim. In the meantime MSTS is the closest we have got despite some flaws.  Who's to say that Auran might not drop the whole thing in favour of something that is more profitable in the short term.

VRfan - Moderator Moderator

This can actually be done at the moment in a roundabout way via means of a decompiler by loading a converted shape file back into GMAX and then converting into TRAINZ format. Although this can be done, the ethics of doing it are questionable.

- Vulcan Foundry

I don't think the ethics are questionable if it's your own model. Why shouldn't I be able to decompile what I have made? It's only dodgy if someone decompiles someone else's model.

It's a pity really that Abacus don't simply include a 3ds exporter in TSM. That would make life much easier.

This can actually be done at the moment in a roundabout way via means of a decompiler by loading a converted shape file back into GMAX and then converting into TRAINZ format. Although this can be done, the ethics of doing it are questionable.

- Vulcan Foundry

I don't think the ethics are questionable if it's your own model. Why shouldn't I be able to decompile what I have made? It's only dodgy if someone decompiles someone else's model.

It's a pity really that Abacus don't simply include a 3ds exporter in TSM. That would make life much easier.

- VRfan

I should have clarified the first point you made a little further. It was the ethics of decompiling someone else's model that I was referring to and not decompliling your own models. I could have been a little clearer I know:)

You're right about Abacus. They could easily have included a 3DS exporter in the lead in version as IIRC it was included in the commercial verion of TSM.

dthead - Administrator Site Admin

*sighs*

Trainz was designed as a MODEL RAILWAY simulator. Auran have simply modified Trainz as it's evolved to make it more like MSTS - ie a real railway simulator. However, it's still nothing compared to MSTS. The physics are something shocking, it's soft rendered which makes it look 'toy like', however, it does have its up sides - the ability to render far more polygons then MSTS, for instance.

- michaelgreenhill

I know very well the differences etc. and agree MSTS for me !

- my original TRAINZ ( purchased directly off AURAN) is still in it's box, not installed on my PC

- my TRAINZ 2004 ( purchased directly off AURAN) is still in it's box, not installed on my PC

- my MSTS purchased from the Buffer Stop is on my PC & laptop !

But TRAINZ & Auran aside, I still think MSTS will be around for as along as people make addona etc for it - and that could be some time.

Regards,

David Head

You must be logged in to reply

Search thread   Image gallery
1 of 3 2 3 »

Display from:   

Don't forget to LIKE us on Facebook at: Railpage Facebook Feed