The requested URL could not be found in our system, but we've found these articles instead.
THE Federal Government's leading adviser on roads, rail and ports has warned against a Greek-style binge on "bridges over puddles and roads to nowhere".
Sir Rod Eddington, who chairs the government body that reviews proposes big-ticket infrastructure projects, said the nation's arteries were under stress after two decades of underinvestment.
But he underlined the need to bring in private funding for vital projects and warned against simply funding them without undertaking rigorous studies into costs and benefits.
"If you build bridges over puddles and roads to nowhere, you do nothing for productivity," Sir Rod said, addressing the Australian British Chamber of Commerce in Melbourne yesterday.
Posted in South Australian Rail News on 2012-11-27 19:39:10
THE Belair rail line must close for seven months next year for the safety of maintenance crews, the Transport Department chief says.
At a public meeting attended by 280 people at Blackwood High School last night, residents asked if the train line could remain open from Belair to Mitcham while a $110 million Goodwood junction upgrade was built next year.
But Transport Department chief executive Rod Hook ruled this out.
The line will be shut from January 2 to July 1, with shuttle buses replacing trains.
Posted in Other Transport News on 2007-12-23 13:25:27
CITYLINK operator Transurban will consider a multimillion-dollar compensation claim against the Brumby Government if the Government proceeds with a new toll tunnel linking Melbourne's east and west.
The move is one of many obstacles to a project that seems to have the backing of Premier John Brumby, say senior government and industry sources, and of Sir Rod Eddington, who is examining the idea.
A PROPOSED $7 billion rail tunnel from Footscray to Caulfield could be privatised under funding options being considered by the Brumby Government and being backed by Metlink, the body that promotes Melbourne's public transport operations.
The Government has also refused to rule out fare increases to help pay for the tunnel.
The tunnel was among the key proposals in Sir Rod Eddington's report earlier this year on east-west transport options for Melbourne.
Posted in Victorian Rail News on 2008-07-16 11:48:03
A $7 BILLION plan to tunnel from Footscray to Caulfield to build a new "metro style" underground rail line has won overwhelming endorsement from councils, transport groups and social welfare bodies.
But support for a proposed $9 billion road tunnel stretching from Footscray to Clifton Hill has received a mixed response in submissions to the Government's review of Sir Rod Eddington's $20 billion transport plan for Melbourne.
CityLink operator Transurban said the road tunnel should be built as a tollway - but even then it could only be built with additional Government funding.