Council needs to fast-track rail before gridlock
First train ride re-enacted for Queensland Rail's 150th birthday
Nambour a better option: Woombye anti-rail stabling group
South west Queensland pushes for more rail services for cattle
Tilt Trains set for a major overhaul
Ipswich celebrates heritage at Rail Museum on Open Day
Two rail lines earmarked for northern Australia
The $55.8 million dual gauge rail line from Acacia Ridge to Bromelton remains unfinished
Police investigate if fallen powerlines on Gold Coast train line work of vandals
Sourcing critical railway upgrade funding needs cool heads and smart solutions
The issue of groundwater and the proposed New Acland Stage 3 coal mine expansion are back to square one following the release on Tuesday of a judgment by the Queensland Court of Appeal.
The judgment, ruling against an appeal by the anti-mine Oakey Coal Action Alliance (OCAA), is the latest in a string of complicated court proceedings linked to the New Acland mine that date back to 2016.
Matters canvassed in the latest judgment include the apprehension of bias in the original Land Court decision and jurisdictional issues linked to groundwater.
All applications by the OCCA have now been referred back to the Land Court to be reheard.
OCCA was ordered to pay New Acland Coal’s appeal costs.
A statement by New Hope – the parent company of New Acland Coal – released after the judgment said the company was pleased with the outcome.
“(The company) will wait for the Court to make its final orders before assessing the next steps for the New Acland Stage 3 project,” the statement said.
“New Hope remains committed to delivering the New Acland Stage 3 project in a timely manner to ensure continuity of operations and ongoing employment in the region.”
OCCA secretary Paul King said the case would now have to be reheard in its entirety.
“This is a very difficult outcome for local farmers who have lived with this threat for 10 long years and now face more uncertainty,” he said.
“The farming land around Oakey is classed in the top 1.5 per cent in Queensland. It is madness that it should be destroyed for the sake of a temporary coal mine.”
Earlier on Tuesday, New Hope Corporation requested a trading halt on the ASX until Thursday morning.
This article first appeared on southburnett.com.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2020 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.