Public Transport Victoria forum hears call for more Maryborough train services
State Government Commits to Developing Rail Infrastructure for Victoria
Horsham residents to be quizzed about future use of dormant rail corridor land
No choppers here: Malcolm Turnbull takes the train to Geelong
Opposition Leader Matthew Guy backs Melbourne Airport rail link
Jail time for train threats to Vline Staff
Premier Daniel Andrews hears efforts to address Central Goldfields disadvantage, push for more Maryborough trains
The Inland Rail Link Melbourne to Brisbane a Similar Case as the RAA's Bendigo - Geelong Rail Link
North-West Rail Alliance urges more council support amid push for return of Mildura passenger rail
Grampians Rail Trail: Shire calls for community to step up and manage facility
Extra safety measures used on train tracks when normal signals are down may not have been in place when an XPT train derailed last week, killing two people and injuring 11.
The revelation comes as colleagues mourn the death of the train's pilot Sam Meintanis, who was killed alongside driver John Kennedy when the Sydney-to-Melbourne express derailed on Thursday night.
Mr Meintanis, from Castlemaine, who worked as a track protection officer for rail company Programmed for 14 years, has been remembered as a "popular member" of staff.
The train's pilot was 49-year-old Sam Meintanis from Castlemaine.CREDIT:FACEBOOK
The XPT train was carrying 153 passengers when it derailed at Wallan, north of Melbourne, not far from its final destination – Southern Cross Station.
Safety precautions including flagmen, detonators and caution boards warning of changes in track direction and speed are often used to help drivers navigate routes in the absence of operating signals.
But these visual reminders were not used on the North East rail line linking Sydney and Melbourne, sources in the industry have told The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald.
Cranes lifting part of the derailed train at Wallan on Sunday.
The investigation into the crash will focus on whether the driver and the pilot were aware of an official alert advising staff that trains would be diverted via the Wallan loop with a speed limit of 15km/h for seven hours on Thursday.
Well-placed sources said the train was travelling at least 100km/h when it approached the passing loop and derailed. The track has a maximum speed of 130km/h.
This article first appeared on www.theage.com.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2020 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.