Plenty Road track maintenance
Read 17-minute stories and join #onboardbookclub
E-Class trams on Route 11 & new passenger info displays - all part of improving Melbourne’s tram network
Infrastructure Tasmania boss Allan Garcia considers new bridge and light rail projects
Nalder finds light rail ‘unviable’
New East Brunswick tram terminus being built in second phase of Route 96 upgrade
Prime Minister Tony Abbott uses ACT light rail project as example of how to fund public transport
Man injured while working on light rail network in Sydney's CBD
Fuel cell tram framework agreement
Adelaide tram drivers to stop work
The subcontractor building Sydney's troubled CBD light rail says it would never have signed the contract if it had been given documents showing the extent of work that needed to be done on underground utilities pits.
Acciona Australia managing director Bede Noonan has told a parliamentary inquiry one of his colleagues described the guidelines as a "crap the pants" document, because the impact was so significant.
"Receiving these Ausgrid guidelines after contract signing was like Transport for NSW dropping a bomb on us," Mr Noonan said.
"If we received these before, we wouldn't have signed. It's as fundamental as that."
The light rail project's delivery date has already blown out to 2020 and the cost has ballooned from $500 million to $2.1 billion.
It was originally meant to be completed by early 2019 but on Thursday Mr Noonan conceded the revised deadline of May 2020 might not be met.
"There is a risk," Mr Noonan said.
"There are a range of operations that need to occur to get completion of the project so it depends on how those operations play out."
On Wednesday an Auditor-General's report revealed the $207 million contingency fund for the project had already been fully exhausted, so more budget blow outs were expected.
Acciona is suing the State Government for $1.1 billion for allegedly failing to reveal it had not secured an agreement with Ausgrid about how the cables on the underground route should be dealt with.
Mr Noonan told the inquiry on Thursday if that information had been provided before the contract was signed, "This project most likely would not have proceeded" because of the "cost, time and risk" of the work involved.
"The withholding of these guidelines was a fundamental mistake for Transport for NSW," Mr Noonan said.
The inquiry will hear from Transport for New South Wales representatives later on Thursday.
This article first appeared on www.abc.net.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2019 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.