I travelled from Adelaide to Hove and back and did a step-back break of journey at Showground to have a look. Here are some observations:-
1) New station is quite impressive (but probably an expensive white elephant for 48 weeks a year).
2) Only a small handful of users in evidence in mid-morning period. These looked like old blokes and pensioner couples with a bit of time on their hands along for a look. No regular fare-paying passengers IMHO, but old Keswick would be deserted at this time of day too. Quite a few tradies still at work with angle grinders, paint rollers etc.
3) No signage at all to indicate to any “normal” punters who arrive at the new station which platform their train will leave from. Even temporary signs would be useful – you can’t assume everybody “just knows” the layout of tracks. You need to get down onto each platform and read the PID to see where the next train is going.
4) Lift on island platform apparently not in operation yet. Bad luck if you arrive in a wheelchair or with a pram. Maybe one of the Wilson Security guys will help drag you up the longish flight of steps.
Regarding passenger info about the new station:-
- PID screens on Adelaide Station Concourse now list the stopping pattern for Noarlunga and Belair departures as: Mile End – Keswick – Goodwood –
- Auto announcements at yellow posts on suburban stations say “blah blah – Goodwood – Keswick – Mile End – ”.
- Visual PIDs inside railcars show “Stopping Mile End then express to Goodwood”.
- Audio announcements in railcars ignore Showgrounds and say “next stop Goodwood”. On one train the driver made a manual announcement, on return trip he didn’t bother.
- Belair trains approaching Goodwood now announce “change here for Seaford and Tonsley”, so they obviously have managed to update the audio files recently.
- Adelaide Metro website has new pdf timetables and pdf maps which show Showgrounds correctly.
But those ugly customizable tables on the website totally ignore Showgrounds in both the times and the route diagrams.
It’s not like the opening of Showgrounds is a complete surprise to anyone. Why is it so hard for Adelaide Metro to update their systems on time – especially the website, which is supposed to be the definitive source for timetable info?