Well take it to an election and let the people decide! They've already had a referendum but parliament won't comply.
British House of Commons is now shut for 5 weeks. Meanwhile the Remoaners have acted in collusion with Brussels to stop both Brexit and a snap election. What a bunch of totalitarian elitist EU puppets who don't trust their constituents.
I wonder if we'll see a new Democratic movement rise up to oust the traitors who bow to the EU?
Blame the leftists, blame the Greenies, blame Labour, blame the elitists, but never ever take responsibility for your own actions.
@Carnot - blames elitists then supports clueless Eton educated silver-spooner who can't make up his own mind
"...leaving would cause at least some business uncertainty, while embroiling the Government for several years in a fiddly process of negotiating new arrangements, so diverting energy from the real problems of this country – low skills, low social mobility, low investment etc – that have nothing to do with Europe."
Boris Johnson - Feb 2016
- Lowered the status of the UK PM to that of revolving door of Italy
- Cost the country multiple PM's and I doubt BJ will survive this either with other suitable candidates likely refraining from nomination to prevent being associated with this mess and cost them their political and post political careers.
- At least one extra General Election, likely two
- Stagnation of the govt on other matters
- The UK economy diving faster than Trump killing the US economy
- Nth Ireland at risk of return to civil war and with it bombs in London
- Scotland threatening to hold another and more likely to win referendum to quit the UK in their own SCEIXT if the UK BREXIT's
- British MP's either quitting politics in disgust or being fired by their own leader for doing what they are allowed to do.
- BJ's own brother telling him to FO and quitting.
- BJ's previously supportive colleges telling him to FO and quitting.
- The EU sitting there not giving a crap because the longer it goes on the less likely any other EU member will even consider going down the same path and gaining more power at the BREXIT bargining table as time goes by.
- UK citizens working and living in mainland EU not knowing their future employment / residency / property ownership status.
- 90% of FB and other social media claims and justification to BREXIT or NOT-BREXIT is complete tripe and only takes a few minutes in Wiki and other to work it out.
The UK Parliament is heavily divided along non-party lines. The Opposition is doing what the Opposition always does and making it as hard as possible for the govt but unlike other issues, desperately avoiding an election to risk having to solve it, rather let the govt implode so badly no one will vote for them for a generation and the people will happily accept their solution regardless of what it is.
Its a cluster screw up of biblical proportions.
The NON-BINDING referendum was a question of ideology, not direction nor a solution. It was hastily put together by Cameron to try and shut some people up and move on and his bluff failed and failed far worse than he ever predicted.
Does anyone truly believe to continue this path makes any commonsense? Oh the people voted for it, we should do it, yada yada yada! Do what exactly? There are a thousand ways to Brexit, should the MP's be forced to agree to any one path unconditionally?
While people voted to leave, they didn't say how or was it non-conditional. The MP's are within their right to object to conditions that don't agree with like any legislation.
This is like one of those big projects in industry that was wrong to start with but they keep trying to keep it alive until it either implodes or a CEO with big balls/ovaries comes in and says STOP, push everything into the bin, assign new leadership and start again detailing the plan first.
The best thing BJ can do is call a STOP to the whole disaster, stablise the UK economy and the GBP and establish a BREXIT committee to put together a package on how best to leave the UK that is agreed to by most and put this to a referendum for which the outcome is binding within 6mth.