- Reinstate Eaglehawk-Inglewood with “bare minimum” standards (steel sleepers, re-use rail where possible) to provide BG freight continuity for Sea Lake and Manangatang
- Convert Ballarat-Ararat to SG with dual gauge Ballarat-Wendouree and a dedicated SG track from Ballarat station through to Warrenheip
- Purchase a fleet of gauge-convertible DMUs from CAF, Talgo or CRRC and a suitable conversion facility for North Ballarat to enable through running for existing Melbourne-Ararat and Melbourne-Maryborough trains. Extend Ararat services to Stawell, perhaps even Horsham.
- Convert Ballarat-Gheringhap to SG
- Convert Maryborough-Ballarat to SG
- Close the Maroona-Gheringhap ARTC mainline, use recovered rail, ballast and standard gauge concrete sleepers to upgrade Ararat-Ballarat-Gheringhap track standards and provide multiple 2000m+ passing loops or better (Remembering that the entire Ballarat-Geelong line was built as a two-track mainline and apart from some overbridges with insufficient “modern” gauge clearances remains suitable for such)
- Close Ararat-Maryborough, rip up the line for re-use (the sleepers and ballast will be fine, it’s just the rail that’s rubbish) and forget about the whole sorry saga that was the first iteration of the MBRP
- Gauge-convert Sea Lake and Manangatang whenever you feel like it/have the money
In brief: put all the money into a proper high quality mainline that serves western interstate as well as Mildura traffic. No point having two lesser-quality mainlines that provide only a marginal benefit over consolidation to one much higher quality one.