In 1914 Coolangatta’s railway platform was lengthened by 100 feet according to the Tweed Daily 28AUG1914 or by 150 ft according to The Telegraph (Brisbane) 11JULY1914 who also gave the cost as £130. The Tweed Daily also remarked this would result in a “first class” platform and was to be enclosed by a picket fence and facilities made for carts to back up to load luggage.
Brian Webber’s Southside book P.90 notes Coolangatta was upgraded from a “gate” to gain a station master 1921 but reverted to a gate again in 1930 with Gladys Meteyard taking over as Station Mistress for the next 31 years till the line closed.
Images of the previous Coolangatta station show facilities similar to a wayside halt type shed so clearly the town was expanding. The 1914 station expansion date is also of interest as the Town of Coolangatta was approved by Order In Council June 1914 with John Lanham the inaugural Mayor following the elections. He was mayor 1914-15. George Lindsay Gordon was mayor 1917.
These two mayoral names, Lanham and Gordon, later appeared as street names on the 1963 street map where the 1960 street map had Nelson St south of the rail yards. At around the same time Chalk St appeared on the former Coolangatta rail yards site as well as Griffith Street being widened when the train line was removed and former rail land offered for sale on 19 January 1963. Sir Gordon Chalk was the QLD Minister for Transport 12 Aug 1957 to 23 Dec 1965. (Post Office History)
(Edit) Nelson St seemed to be only the Kirra side of McLean St as the other side in front of the Methodist Church (now Uniting) was named Lanham St by the time that church was opened in 1924 as per The Brisbane Courier 9June1924 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article20735304
Nelson was QLD’s 11th premier https://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/members/former/bio?id=3050323710
John Lanham, the inaugural Mayor, had three sons. Two of whom, Percy and Cliff, became Methodist ministers. Padre Percy Lanham died in the Middle East in 1942. Cliff Lanham gained his pilot’s licence 1938 and worked with the Methodist Inland Mission as well as a WW2 Padre. After he left the ministry he was an air taxi operator at Mary Kathleen and later (c1963) formed Lanham Air Charter at Coolangatta Airport. Lanham Street named after 1914 mayor John Lanham not his son Cliff as Lanham St existed in 1924 as previously noted.
Coolangatta inaugural council. The Brisbane Courier 13JUNE1914 P.5 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article19954276
Coolangatta Council material. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_of_Coolangatta
Coolangatta Post Office History courtesy Gold Coast Library, Coolangatta.
Clifford Wilton Lanham material https://ehive.com/account/3492/object/77629/Clifford_Wilton_LANHAM_b_22nd_February_1911_Toowoomba_QLD_d_14th_January_1985_Tugan_Gold_Coast_QLD
John Lanham material. Cairns Post 24JUNE1931 P. 4. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article48711361
Percy Lanham material. Cairns Post 2SEPT1942 P. 4 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article42358557
Gladys Meteyard material. South Coast Bulletin (Southport) 4July1930 P.10 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article136468637
Gregory's Directories/ Universal Business Directories UBD (Aust.) Pty. Ltd. 1963 UBD courtesy Gold Coast Local Studies Library, c1960 Refidex Cokley Collection.
Webber, Brian “Exploring Queensland’s Railways - South from Brisbane”, ARHS [Q] 2007 http://www.railshop.com.au/prod15.htm
The Telegraph (Brisbane) 11JULY1914 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article175969692
Tweed Daily 28AUG1914 courtesy State Library Queensland