I've been reading a bit about this line, particularly the submissions to the Inland Rail committee from Narrandera Council.
From previous threads I've learned the following (subject to clarification in this thread):
- There is doubt on this board as to if there is enough freight to justify reactivation of the line
- The main issue is the bridge and highway at Narrandera, otherwise, the rest of the line shouldn't take "too" much to get back up and running (relatively)
- It would only work if the Seymour-Tocumwal BG line was standardised (which may necessitate Deniliquin-Echuca-Toolamba being standardised for the freight flows to continue)
1. The councils in the area don't seem to be as well coordinated as they can be (probably distracted with merger considerations though to be fair)
2. The strategy to link it into the Inland Rail was a little hopeful. I think it should be kept clean and say that the Riverina wants a more direct connection to Melbourne and try and build the business case from there. (An operational sector to Narrandera may at some stage help with a business case for a Narrandera-Parkes connection, but lets not get ahead of ourselves)
1. Is the line essentially intact, i.e. they haven't done a Mt Gambier with the line in any of the towns along the way?
2. Has any quality engineering and economic assessment of the line been done? Ive seen the one done by Narrandera Council, its a start but not as rigorous as I think would be necessary
3. Where does the current freight from the area go to? Botany/Kembla/Newcastle/Melbourne?
4. Where does the freight picked up in Tocumwal originate from?
5. Anecdotally, is there much road freight south to pick up that would realistically use the line if it were there. There was talk about the cotton seed in a recent thread, but this might be too far out of the way to really use the line.
6. How easy would it be to operate say Griffith-Melbourne? You would need to change locos from one end to the other unless they constructed a triangle somehow in Narrandera
7. What is the bridge like over the Murray? It is used for broad gauge service correct, so should be ok?
8. Would Shepparton etc be favourable to additional train movements through their towns?
Any other comments worth noting?