Personally I think AMRM whilst it has done a good job in covering Australian layouts or predominantly NSW layouts it is a journal that has gone a little downhill in the past decade because most new modellers and indeed existing ones whom purchase either Model Railroader, Model Rail or Hornby Magazine.
Oddly enough many years ago the editor of AMRM I wrote an letter to the editor only to be sent a private letter to stop comparing AMRM to other journals because that is not what Letters to the Editor is meant to be.
The magazine has the following flaws (and this is only my opinion):
1. No beginner section, should have a beginner, intermediate and advanced sections to aid modellers.
2. If it comes out every two months surely its able to provide two layouts that we can look at to get inspiration.
3. Sometimes there is a NSW Centric in some of the articles and layouts, yes I admit if there aren't contributors to the journal its only as good as the contributions- more about that later.
4. Some articles I have heard from would be authors being rejected because its not in the aim of AMRM to have those types of articles- especially beginner ones
5. Using feet, inches is very 19th Century or 20th Century that it needs to move with the times today's generation only understand millimetres and centre metres and metres but the management still insists on using old measurements when building a layout or scratch building a particular locomotive or rollingstock.
6. No Q&A section because the claim is that they don't have time to do this they are flat out caring about the other sections of the journal
7. Reviews are great but some reviews never appear because they might be critical of the model and AMRM does not want to put manufacturers offside, this has been reported to me by some modellers interstate whom AMRM had contact with many years ago.
Lastly one would hope the journal does not go downhill any further because its readership have dropped and yes it can be improved but hopefully the new managing editor and general manager are not puppets to the existing ones otherwise like some other journals it will disappear very quickly.
I purchase it only for the Australian Layouts so this is my opinion what do you think?