Back in the 1960s, building good roads was one of South Australia's strong points. Even into the 1980s. Now the money has run out.
A bit OT, but here's my prediction for the 1-way Southern Expressway.
Looking ahead a few years......
- State Govt congratulates itself in its foresight building this hi-tech road, and all the new development in Sthn suburbs which has resulted.
- by this time, all the new developments mean a 2-way expressway is needed.
- no money in govt coffers to build the extra lanes (despite all the ongoing gambling/property tax/speed camera tax windfalls!!).
- so need to engage a private company to build the extra lanes.
- govt sell the expressway to a private concern for knock-down price (it's only half a road after all), who then turns it into a proper 2-way road.
- private compny recovers cost by becoming a TOLLWAY in both directions.
- and it's still publicised as hi-tech road 'cos now they use e-tags to rake in the tolls.
Another prime opportunity to sell off assets, then siphon the $$ out of pockets of ordinary Australians into the pockets of large (overseas) corporations.
I hope I'm wrong!